3com Phones 1 800 544 0059

NBX Group - your source for all 3Com phones.

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

If I have a failed telephone, how can I save the info from that phone to use on a replacement

E-mail Print PDF

This one is a little complicated for the untrained user. The procedure is as follows: First auto discover the phone and compile and note the Extension number. Now log onto netset and go to "Telephones", a tab on netset, and note the MAC address of both the old (defective)and the new (replacement)phone. Go to the Users tab and highlight the Extension number of the new phone, and hit the "remove" option. Now highlight the old phone and hit the "modify" option. Now scroll through the phone list and highlight the new phone and hit the OK option. Finally go to the phone list and highlight the bad phone and then hit the "remove" option. Now log out of netset and test to see if you have successfully transported the data. If not call us at 1 800 544 0059 and ask for Tech service consulting, we can get you through it. Remember..... this is one of those processes that must be done in order and without error.

Last Updated on Sunday, 21 January 2007 13:20